Fresh, light yet filling tacos made with cumin-spiced black beans, topped with lime and jalapeño dressed arugula, quick-pickled radishes, avocado, and dairy-free cheese. Here’s what you need:
Spicy Black Beans
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or 4 cups cooked black beans)
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup water
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño (about 1 medium jalapeño), membranes and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons pHresh greens®
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey (or agave nectar)
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 to 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into thin strips
- ⅔ cup crumbled dairy-free cheese
- Quick-pickled radishes or chopped fresh radishes
- Optional garnishes: freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and/or hot sauce like Cholula
1. To make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine all of the listed dressing ingredients. Whisk until emulsified.
2. To prepare the black beans: Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and are turning translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the cumin and cook for about 30 seconds while stirring. Pour in the beans and ⅓ cup water. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and use the back of a fork to mash up about at least half of the beans. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and cover until you’re ready to serve.
3. To warm the tortillas: Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat and warm each tortilla individually, flipping occasionally. Alternatively, you can warm them directly over a low flame on a gas range.
4. Put it all together: Just before serving, toss the arugula with enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves (you will probably have leftover dressing). Spread black beans down the middle of each tortilla. Top with sliced avocado, pickled radishes, a small handful of dressed arugula, and a sprinkle of crumbled feta. Finish with a couple of dashes of freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and/or hot sauce.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes