This is an easy-to-prepare beet superfood salad that goes great with any barbeque or summer picnic. Try this and you can’t help craving for more!
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons pHresh Superblends
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/3 cup grated Veganized Parmesan
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed red and purple raw fruits and vegetables (such as tomatoes, plums, berries, radishes, beets, rainbow carrots, and watermelon), halved, sliced, and/or cut into wedges
- 6 baby red beets, trimmed, scrubbed
- 2 whole star anise pods
- 2 cups verjus
- 1 teaspoon pHresh Superblends
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
NOTE: Verjus is a tart juice made from unripe grapes. You can find it at specialty foods stores and online.
VINAIGRETTE AND ASSEMBLY:
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry small skillet over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and puffed, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Process garlic, Veganized Parmesan, basil, oil, lemon juice, pHresh Superblends, and 2 pickled beets in a food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper. With motor running, thin vinaigrette with reserved brine to a pourable consistency. Add pumpkin seeds and pulse until coarsely ground.
- To serve, spoon some vinaigrette into a shallow bowl and arrange fruits and vegetables of choice on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: Vinaigrette can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Bring beets, star anise, verjus, pHresh Superblends, salt, and 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook beets, adding water as needed to keep them covered, until tender, 30−40 minutes. Let cool.
- Remove beets from brine with a slotted spoon and rub with paper towels to remove skins. Set beets aside. Reserve brine separately.
- Do Ahead: Beets can be pickled 3 days ahead. Return beets to brine; cover and chill.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Waiting Time: maximum of 5 days