This authentic Greek recipe has gotten a makeover and is better than ever. This vegan spinach pie is one of the best appetizers you’ll ever make! Try this ASAP!
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, chopped (can also use a mixture of spinach and chard)
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped (about 6-7 scallion bulb pieces)
- ¼ cup dill
- ¼ cup parsley, either kind works but I use Italian flat-leaf
- 1 teaspoon pHresh greens®
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound phyllo (filo) sheets — if you can find the thick ones use those (you should use gluten-free phyllo)
- 1/6 - 1/3 cup olive oil for brushing phyllo (filo)
- Olive oil or veggie broth for sautéing
- Pour the olive oil for brushing into a glass bowl.
- A little trick, cut the phyllo (filo) edge to fit the length of your pan, and cut it while it is still rolled up in the package to make it easy. Meaning, keep it rolled, measure it in your pan then slice off the edge so that it fits in your pan well. You can keep the extra and use it for other things.
- Brush the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan with a little bit of oil.
- Then line the pan with half of one phyllo (filo) sheet, allowing the other half to hang over the edge, brush the half in the pan with some oil, then fold the other half over the top and brush it with oil too. This has to be done like this because the phyllo (filo) sheets are bigger than the pan.
- You are going to do this for half of the phyllo (filo) sheets, brushing each sheet with olive oil.
- After you have used half of the sheets, spread the spinach mixture on top.
- Then top with the remaining phyllo (filo) sheets brushing each of them with the olive oil again.
- When done, cut into squares.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until it is golden brown on top. Begin checking at 50 minutes as ovens vary.
- Let it cool completely before cutting through and serving. Enjoy!
Supercharge your immune system, increase your vitality and get healthy, and natural energy every day with our superfood green powder — pHresh greens® raw alkalizing superfood!
This green powder provides your body with a rich natural source of vitamins, trace minerals, antioxidants, chlorophyll, enzymes, and other phytonutrients beneficial to health! What are you waiting for? Available now!