The spinach makes this cake a vibrant green color, but you can’t actually taste the spinach. It tastes like a vanilla sponge, but there’s a little added goodness in there from the leafy greens. It makes for a fun cake color and it’s perfect for parties and ordinary days! It has become much healthier because of pHresh greens®! Try this now!
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pHresh greens®
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3 cups (150g) raw spinach
- 3 cups mashed bananas
- 2 cups (250g) oat flour
- ¾ cup (150g) maple syrup
- ⅔ cup (100g) smooth applesauce
- ½ cup (100ml) vegetable oil
- ½ stick (75g) unsalted vegan butter
- 2 cups (250g) powdered cane sugar sifted (for icing)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Optional - cherries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Grease and line 2 x 8 inch (20cm) cake tins.
- Steam or simmer the spinach for a few minutes until wilted.
- Run under cold water to refresh, drain and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Puree well with a hand blender and set aside.
- Beat the mashed bananas, pHresh greens®, oil, vanilla, applesauce, and maple syrup together well. Beat in the spinach puree.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the vanilla frosting:
- Beat all ingredients together until fluffy. If necessary add a little more milk to thin to thicken.
- Refrigerate until ready to spread on the completely cooled cake. Decorate with cherries, if desired.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Fuel your body with essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fiber, and more with pHresh greens®! This cake recipe has made it more possible for you to indulge in your favorite sweets without compromising your health!